Re: Is *anyone* using pkgsrc on IRIX?

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 09:49:43AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> [Recently a patch to libffi to accomodate IRIX has caused a problem on
>> another platform.  In discussing what ought to be done, I asked if
>> anyone was using pkgsrc on IRIX, but that thread is not likely to be
>> seen by most, so I'm asking here.]
>
> I would extend the question to other platforms without support in
> cwrappers and with questionable support for DESTDIR. For example, I
> would explicitly drop any pretense that we support SCO. It doesn't
> support proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH behavior and that will incur random
> breakage with DESTDIR builds.

Agreed there are other troubled platforms, and perhaps we should keep a
list in bootstrap about which ones are known to have active use, which
are unclear, and which are believed not to work.  pkgsrc has such a long
history that there are a lot of faded operating systems now.  I can
start a file for that.

I generally do not think we should rush to rip out accomodations.

My question was trying to be narrow, about the extent to which we should
keep accomodations that cause problems.  In this case, it seems the
pkgsrc-on-IRC situation is sufficiently weak that adding a patch and
having to change to bash seems too much pain for other platforms.