Re: MesaLib and llvm

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:29:36AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:07:38AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> Also, it seems clear that we should disable the llvm option on Linux.
> >
> > Absolutely not. The change for OSX should be reverted as well. There is
> > little point in providing a crippled version out of the box.
>
> Let's keep in mind that we are talking about going back to how things
> were only 3 weeks ago, so I see this as about juggling recent changes
> that are not stable at freeze start time.

That's not correct. It has been the case until the recent LLVM update.
That one breaks the build on *any* platform with the LLVM option.

> So I don't see this
> optimization being missing from binary packages of one more branch as a
> big deal.

LLVM shader and GPU compilation has been supported on the last branch.
It makes MesaLib a lot less useful for a lot of system. Frankly, the
only real alternative IMO would be to revert the LLVM update...

Joerg