Re: MesaLib and llvm

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:07:38AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Also, it seems clear that we should disable the llvm option on Linux.
>
> Absolutely not. The change for OSX should be reverted as well. There is
> little point in providing a crippled version out of the box.

Let's keep in mind that we are talking about going back to how things
were only 3 weeks ago, so I see this as about juggling recent changes
that are not stable at freeze start time.  So I don't see this
optimization being missing from binary packages of one more branch as a
big deal.  But,

If it builds and works, then I have absolutely no problem with it
staying.  MesaLib failed to build in the recent joyent Linux bulk build,
blocking thousands of packages, and there was a report yesterday that it
fails on Ubuntu.  I misremembered the error from the mail, and thought
it matched the "llvm option fails on Darwin" signature, not the "llvm
option fails becuase of llvm 4.0" signature.

So how about we amend this to:

  The options.mk will be changed to enable the llvm option on platforms
  where it is known to actually build and work.

and if you or anyone else can confirm that once the patch hits the tree
that builds on Linux, totally fine to have it there.  I'll change it to
NetBSD and Linux, since while you didn't actually say it, you seem to
think it will build and work once Mark commits the patch.