Re: Imake on Solaris 11.2/sparc

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 03:48:00PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
 > On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:12:43PM +0200, J?rn Clausen wrote:
 >  > >I just started using pkgsrc on Solaris 11.2/sparc. I have problems
 >  > >compiling packages that use Imake, e.g. xdu or xv.
 >  > >
 >  > >Linking fails with
 >  > >
 >  > >ld: fatal: /usr/lib/ld/map.noexdata: 29: error: SPARC Procedure Linkage
 >  > >Table (PLT) must remain executable
 >  > [...]
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > I will look into it when I can but that probably won't be for at least
 > another week.

"month and a half" :(

 > I also think it's time I went and strongarmed imake into providing a
 > template debugging mode. Or something. That or spend the time needed
 > to banish imake from pkgsrc.

This is now done. If you try again with imake 1.0.7nb2 on both
platforms (this will also build a new tradcpp) you'll get a file
.imake.cpplog in the directory where imake runs that contains an eval
log from cpp. With luck, as long as the two machines are using the
same version of the imake templates, diffing the two logs will produce
useful information.

Another distinct possibility is that imake is putting something wrong
into the start file it actually passes to cpp (which is *not* the
Imakefile) -- the new imake leaves this behind in .imake.start.c
instead of carefully deleting it so you can't see it.

If not, the old method of systematically inserting #error lines into
the templates and seeing if they go off will be much less of a pain
now; imake also now reports the cpp invocation, so afterwards you can
run tradcpp directly on .imake.start.c as needed.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost