Re: bind9 thread problems?

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 14:57:39 +0200 (CEST)
Havard Eidnes <he%uninett.no@localhost> wrote:

> > I have a mid sized server ( E5 with 12 cores )
> > running netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 with pkgsrc from the pkgsrc-2014Q2 branch
> > on which named hangs soon after startup. This happens with the bundled named
> > and with bind98 and bind99 packages. I pulled bind910 from pkgsrc HEAD and
> > it hangs as well.
>
> I suspect this is related to this change, which has been pulled up to
> netbsd-6 and netbsd-6-1, but which isn't part of the NetBSD 6.1.4
> release (will therefore be in the 6.2 and 6.1.5 releases, though,
> whenever they come out):
>
> lib/libpthread/pthread_cond.c                   1.62
> lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c                  1.57, 1.59
>
>         Partial fix for thread deadlock commonly observed with
>         named. Also address PR/44756.
>         [prlw1, ticket #1029]
>
> You could apply those patches, and get a working threaded BIND; I did,
> and suffered this problem before and it's now gone for me.

I can and will apply these patches. Thanks!

> > I compiled 9.10 from source with threads disabled and it
> > doesn't seem to hang.  It's also noticably faster.
>
> By what measurement factor, may I ask?  I have a similar install with
> the above patch installed, which is showing somewhat elevated response
> times to queries compared to other installations outside of our
> domain, and I've been wondering what the reason might be.

Well, I haven't tested with the patch installed yet. To test on the same
system — which is very much in production — so it can't happen today.

What I used to test was I grepped and awked a list of all my non-GENERATED A
records
and then appended the list to itself 2000 times. I then fed that list to
queryperf.

Once the threading issues are resolved I'll send you the new benchmarks for
comparison.

> Best regards,
>
> - Håvard

Thank you for your help.