Re: Installing and using pkgsrc with external compiler (in HPC environment) ... library path troubles.

Am Thu, 31 Jul 2014 19:35:33 -0500
schrieb Jason Bacon <jwbacon%tds.net@localhost>:

> I have used it with external compilers on RHEL.  The only requirement is
> that the same compiler is first in your PATH during bootstrap and
> package building.

Sure? I fail to see a setting regarding runtime library paths in your
script (you explicitly avoid LD_LIBRARY_PATH at places). Does your
setup also work for Fortran and C++ programs that require the correct
runtime library from the external compiler (or are these external
compilers that hardcode the path themselves)?

> Note: I don't recommend using an external compiler on OS X at this time.

Oh, it won't happen that easily that I stumble over an OS X system at
our place;-)

Btw., the practice of simply symlinking the runtime libs into pkgsrc's
prefix works nicely, too. I do wonder if that can be considered an
elegant solution. Actually, an argument can be made to _copy_ them: A
tarball of the pkgsrc tree would be self-contained and work even if the
external compiler directory is removed ...

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis