Re: bind9 thread problems?

> I have a mid sized server ( E5 with 12 cores )
> running netbsd 6.1.4 amd64 with pkgsrc from the pkgsrc-2014Q2 branch
> on which named hangs soon after startup. This happens with the bundled named
> and with bind98 and bind99 packages. I pulled bind910 from pkgsrc HEAD and
> it hangs as well.

I suspect this is related to this change, which has been pulled up to
netbsd-6 and netbsd-6-1, but which isn't part of the NetBSD 6.1.4
release (will therefore be in the 6.2 and 6.1.5 releases, though,
whenever they come out):

lib/libpthread/pthread_cond.c                   1.62
lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c                  1.57, 1.59

        Partial fix for thread deadlock commonly observed with
        named. Also address PR/44756.
        [prlw1, ticket #1029]

You could apply those patches, and get a working threaded BIND; I did,
and suffered this problem before and it's now gone for me.

> I compiled 9.10 from source with threads disabled and it
> doesn't seem to hang.  It's also noticably faster.

By what measurement factor, may I ask?  I have a similar install with
the above patch installed, which is showing somewhat elevated response
times to queries compared to other installations outside of our
domain, and I've been wondering what the reason might be.

Best regards,

- Håvard