Re: fonts/harfbuzz fails to build saying can't find ft2build.h

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 08:36:51AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> "J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> writes:
> > I'm trying to build fonts/harfbuzz on Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9) for
> > x86_64 Darwin from pkgsrc 2014Q1, and it's failing saying it can't
> > find ft2build.h:
>
> > In file included from hb-ft.cc:30:
> > ./hb-ft.h:32:10: fatal error: 'ft2build.h' file not found
> > #include <ft2build.h>
> >          ^
>
> buildlink3 is supposed to put the needed files in work/.buildlink.  It
> seems that for freetype2 only the config program is linked in, and not
> the includes.
>
> Doing this:
>
> /usr/ANONCVS/pkgsrc/fonts/harfbuzz/work/.buildlink/include #> ln -s
> /opt/X11/include/freetype2 .
>
> makes it build.  So I think the freetype2 builtin.mk needs to catch up
> with the latest Xquartz, but exactly how it not clear - I don't see
> how this could have ever worked.

Hi, Greg.

Interesting.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Investigating more, the problem seems to be that I upgraded from XQuartz
2.7.5 to 2.7.6, and in 2.7.6, the locations of the freetype include
files have changed.  When I revert back to XQuartz 2.7.5, fonts/harfbuzz
builds fine.

I tried a build from scratch of pkgsrc with XQuartz 2.7.6 installed, and
I get the same failure in fonts/harfbuzz.  So, I think the problem is
that pkgtools/x11-links needs to know about these new file locations.
It doesn't appear to have anything specific for Darwin or XQuartz
right now.  In Makefile, if ${X11BASE}/bin/Xquartz exists, it includes
xorg.mk.  But the paths in files/xorg.freetype2 are not right for
XQuartz 2.7.6.

How to proceed?  Should I take a stab at fixing this?  If so, any
suggestion on the best way to do it?  Or maybe a pkgsrc expert has
time to deal with it?  Or maybe I should not be trying to use XQuartz?
Should I be using X11_TYPE=modular instead?  Should I be using
PREFER_PKGSRC=yes instead?

Thanks!

Lewis