Re: [LINUX] Xfixes 2.0.1 broken!

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:34:46 +0900, Dario Niedermann
<dnied%tiscali.it@localhost> wrote:

"OBATA Akio" <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

Put X11_TYPE=native on your mk.conf, and pkgsrc will try to use native
X11 packages, but you must not mix packages built with X11_TYPE=native
and X11_TYPE=modular (default setting for Linux).

I had put X11_TYPE?=native in /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf but pkgsrc still
ignored Linux's pre-installed X11, even though library versions would
have been adequate.

* You may need to install x11-dev packages
* You may need to specify X11BASE (=/usr ?) in mk.conf.
* pkgtools/x11-links/files/xorg* may be need to be changed for your distribution
  (add missing files).

Anyway, if it's true that pkgsrc has no way (or intention) to detect
distro-installed tools and libraries, practically it can only co-exist
with a really minimal Linux system (that is, the kernel, some init
scripts, and a disposable toolchain to bootstrap pkgsrc).

If that's really the case, I think the docs should warn about this
rather serious limitation. Not that pkgsrc wouldn't have its uses, but
prospective users need this info to make up their minds.

Some distro-installed tools and libraries should be detected and used
automatically by pkgsrc.
But same as X11 related packages, mixed usage may not safe,
especially for Linux, many of them are modular OS.

--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost