Re: [LINUX] Xfixes 2.0.1 broken!

"OBATA Akio" <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Put X11_TYPE=native on your mk.conf, and pkgsrc will try to use native
> X11 packages, but you must not mix packages built with X11_TYPE=native
> and X11_TYPE=modular (default setting for Linux).

I had put X11_TYPE?=native in /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf but pkgsrc still
ignored Linux's pre-installed X11, even though library versions would
have been adequate.

Anyway, if it's true that pkgsrc has no way (or intention) to detect
distro-installed tools and libraries, practically it can only co-exist
with a really minimal Linux system (that is, the kernel, some init
scripts, and a disposable toolchain to bootstrap pkgsrc).

If that's really the case, I think the docs should warn about this
rather serious limitation. Not that pkgsrc wouldn't have its uses, but
prospective users need this info to make up their minds.