Re: major change in handling build tools?

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 02:20:13PM +0200, Jörn Clausen wrote:
> Two days ago I opened pkg/45409, which describes how the native
> pkg-config is used even if pkgsrc's version is installed. Now I have
> problems compiling convertes/help2man. It turns out, that instead of
> pkgsrc's perl, Solaris' native perl is used. As a result, the
> installed package p5-gettext is not used, a test in configure turns
> out differently and installation of the package fails:
>
>  => Full dependency pkg_install-info-[0-9]*: found pkg_install-info-4.5nb3
> -=> Full dependency perl>=5.0: found perl-5.14.1
>  => Full dependency gettext-lib>=0.18: found gettext-lib-0.18.1.1
> [...]
> -checking for perl... /usr/pkgsrc/20110809/bin/perl
> -checking for module Locale::gettext... yes
> -checking for msgfmt...
> /pkgsrc/source/recent/20110809/pkgsrc/converters/help2man/work.pkgsrc-i86/.tools/bin/msgfmt
> +checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> +checking for module Locale::gettext... no
> +checking for msgfmt...
> /pkgsrc/source/pkgsrc/converters/help2man/work.pkgsrc-i86/.tools/bin/msgfmt
>
> The quick fix in pkg/45409 was to add
>
>  TOOLS_PATH.pkg-config=/usr/pkgsrc/20110926/bin/pkg-config
>
> to mk.conf. I could probably do the same for perl, but soon this would
> be a never-ending story.
>
> Where and why has the behavior of locating build tools changed in the
> last two weeks?

I guess this is fallout from a change I made a few weeks ago. I added
detection of several host tools to mk/tools/tools.SunOS.mk, including
pkg-config and perl.

I assume you're running SunOS 5.10? Pkg-config in that version is too
old and ignores some of the environment variables set by pkgsrc. I have
a patch for that and a few other host tool changes that are useful for
5.10 and older. I consider this to be an infrastructure change, so I
wanted to wait until after the freeze before committing it. The correct
workaround is adding
        TOOLS_PLATFORM.pkg-config=
to your mk.conf.

The support for perl as a host tool has another bug that needs to be
fixed. It wasn't visible before because no other platform defined
TOOLS_PLATFORM.perl before. I have a patch for that, too.

> Please revert it to the original mode of operation.

Can you wait until after the freeze?

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown