Re: Virtualbox within pkgsrc

On 23 March 2011 05:02, Malcolm Herbert <mjch%mjch.net@localhost> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:12:11PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> |VirtualBox under NetBSD *would* be very nice, but it probably needs
> |someone with time & skill to look at porting across the FreeBSD
> |support...
>
> Slightly off-topic, but what experience do people have with using
> VirtualBox with NetBSD as a client? I have tried a few different
> versions of install media and found that kernels wouldn't boot or would
> crash part way through ... is there a reliable combination that works?

I am using it all the time. Make sure you have VT capable host though.
My main NetBSD build machine is VBox client running under OpenSolaris
snv134.

> This was running VirtualBox 4.0 and then 4.0.4 on Windows XP with NetBSD
> 5.0.1 and 5.1. From memory, I was able to install one or other (can't
> recall which NetBSD version, sorry) but the installed host locked up on
> boot (dropped to the kernel debugger) and the other wouldn't boot the
> install kernel at all.
>
> Are there NetBSD-specific docs on installing into VirtualBox I might
> have missed?

There have been some discussions earlier on this mailing list; if
there is no virtualization the kernel fails reproducibly, but I don't
think anyone offered a solution at the time. I haven't tried this
combination since - all my machines with VBox have the capability.

> Regards,
> Malcolm
>
> --
> Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
> mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left
> blank

Chavdar Ivanov

--