Re: How to automatically update dependencies when building a package?

"Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> writes:

> How do I get pkgsrc to automatically update dependencies when a
> too-old version is already installed?
>
> FreeBSD ports would do this automatically, but my attempted build of
> links-gui was stopped when libpng-1.4.5 was already installed and
> links-gui needed 1.5.1.  I suppose I could do "make replace" on the
> offending package each time, but it is annoying and inefficient to be
> stopped every time a dependency needs updating.
>
> Am I too tired now and overlooking something?  Can I do something
> directly from /usr/pkgsrc/www/links-gui directory when package has not
> yet been installed?

I think it's asking for trouble to do partial updates.  So, what I do is

  update pkgsrc
  run pkg_rolling-replace

prior to building new packages.

I think it would be useful to have a variable to set to make the default
target be "package replace" (in the DESTDIR world) when building a
dependency that is already installed.  The problem is that this will
replace that package out from under other depending packages, so unless
you run pkg_rr or equivalent you'll still have an inconsistent system.