Re: pkgsrc quarterly vs. current?

Hi.

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost> wrote:
> What is the reason for both pkgsrc current and quarterly?  Is there a big
> difference in the stability of the pkgsrc structure itself?  I think it would
> be about the same.

NetBSD offer freedom to you, and pkgsrc also.
pkgsrc-quarterly offer a stable tree with a binary packages available
for inmediately use, without compile individually.
pkgsrc-current change daily, is more dynamic and maybe, some packages
contains bugs or are broken, use under your own responsability.

Te reason is the development cycle, all software project as one and
pkgsrc is not the exception.

> I am strongly inclined to go with the current version because I don't see any
> advantage in waiting three months after release of a software application,
> such as Abiword, gnumeric or Seamonkey just because it was released just
> after the quarterly pkgsrc.

-current is fine, you also can watch pkgsrc-wip project (WIP stand for
Work in Progress packages)  which contains additional packages for
NetBSD and other *NIX.
If you want test, report bugs, os simply have the last version of your
package then use pkgsrc-current, if no, then use binary packages from
a stable pkgsrc branch.

> FreeBSD ports collection has no separate current and quarterly versions.  Do
> any other source-based package managers have distinct current and quarterly
> versions?

I don't know FreeBSD much. I

Regards Tom

--