libncurses, xzcat

Hello, I am trying to install vlc media player, from source, using pkgsrc, on
Linux.

My first question is why do I have to install libncurses-dev in order to avoid
an error message ...

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_use_pkgsrc_on_Linux#libncurses_not_installed

... surely if I were using ksh or msys on windows I wouldn't have access to
this?

My second question is that whilst compiling vlc, I get the following...

line 276: /usr/pkg/bin/xzcat: No such file or directory
/bin/tar: This does not look like a tar archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
*** Error code 2

... but I can't find a package called xzcat anywhere. I don't know how to find
and install this.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/