Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2009-09-10 at 09:34 BST, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > And in fact I agree - why the hell all upgrade methods from binary
> > packages remove packages at first?
>
> The bulk build && pkg_chk upgrade method which many people use does not
> suffer from this.  I think we should push this method much more.

'pkg_chk -b -P /my/path -u' still removes all packages which need an
upgrade and all packages depending on these and install all these again
then. Am I missing something?

> > There is a lot to do to make pkgsrc really usable from nowadays
> > standards point of view.
>
> Absolutely agreed.  The first thing we should do is provide binary
> packages so that regular users don't _have_ to do source upgrades and
> hit all these problems.

Even with binary packages ... What's the clean upgrade path for user when
glib major version was bumped? OK, this might even work somehow (glib in
in pkgsrc), but if libc major version was bumped?

--
Hasso Tepper