Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

On 8/09/2009 8:29 PM, Niels Dettenbach wrote:
On Tuesday 08 September 2009 08:48:22 you wrote:
software installations, they do not help you very much with the upgrade
hell which is inherent to many if not all linux distributions.

...That is why afaik many *BSD users today are using Gentoo Linux if linux is
"required" within a project.

The Gentoo Linux portage system bases on a widely similiar concept like
pgksrc, ports and pkgs.

But however, Gentoo alternatively provides / could use the pkgsrc system too.

I can't understand why users are paying huge money for i.e. RedHat or SuSe
repositories which making upgrades nearly the same mess like on M$ (but maybe
this is what many users expect froma "professional system") - without any
improvement on flexibility. It seems that concepts mainly targeting the
distributors market concept - less the user needs.  Even dpkg from debian
allows (so my experiences) a "softer" upgrade path then the main commercial
Linuxes do offer.

I agree, though the lack of frontendedness is probably partly to blame. If we had a gui based bootstrap and management frontend I imagine adoption would accelerate (my apologies if something does exist). In saying that, you lose the learning experience pkgsrc presents as is.

Something like pkgsrc-dashboard (http://code.google.com/p/pkgsrc-dashboard/) is a good start in the right direction as pkgsrc users tend to have more than one system using the infrastructure.

As accessibility and awareness increases, so does the user-base. I still find that most BSDphobic users have no idea what it is but hopefully that will change :)

Sarton