Re: Real life use of pkgsrc from a happy user

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 08:48:22 you wrote:
> software installations, they do not help you very much with the upgrade
> hell which is inherent to many if not all linux distributions.

...That is why afaik many *BSD users today are using Gentoo Linux if linux is
"required" within a project.

The Gentoo Linux portage system bases on a widely similiar concept like
pgksrc, ports and pkgs.

But however, Gentoo alternatively provides / could use the pkgsrc system too.

I can't understand why users are paying huge money for i.e. RedHat or SuSe
repositories which making upgrades nearly the same mess like on M$ (but maybe
this is what many users expect froma "professional system") - without any
improvement on flexibility. It seems that concepts mainly targeting the
distributors market concept - less the user needs.  Even dpkg from debian
allows (so my experiences) a "softer" upgrade path then the main commercial
Linuxes do offer.

just my two cents...

cheers,

Niels.

--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---