Re: Minor problem with pango?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Thomas Klausner wrote:

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:20:19AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
Following a recent upgrade of my machines to Xorg, I had to rebuild a
ton of packages.  Rather than rebuild them all on each separate machine,
I built them once and then used pkg_tarup to create binary packages.

And fell in one of the traps.

pkg_tarup is a workaround, not a tool that should be used everyday.

For your use case, I'd suggest doing a bulk build in a sandbox and
then installing the binary packages created from that on the machines.

See my earlier posts on this subject. I did a clean "make install" for all the packages, and then tried to "make package". But "make package" tried to do another "make install" and failed because the package was already installed.

For setting up bulk builds, see e.g. /usr/pkgsrc/doc/HOWTO-pbulk.

It seems that, for pango, there's a file missing from the resulting
binary package.  When I ran something that used pango, it complained
about not having a pango.modules and instructed me to run

        pango-querymodules > '/usr/pkg/libdata/pango/pango.modules'

to recreate it.  This worked, and isn't very hard or time-consuming, but
it would seem to me that this file should have been created by the
initial build of the package, and it should have been included in the
binary package created by pkg_tarup, and it should have been installed
when I pkd_add'ed the binary package.

Comments?  Am I missing something?  Should I file a pkgsrc PR?

This is done by the pango INSTALL script, which, it seems, didn't make
it into the pkg_taruped file.

Should it have been included? If so, is it an error on the part of pkg_tarup or something wrong in the pango package?

Please try using 'make package' to create packages, that's much safer.

I would have done that from the beginning if I'd thought of it, but I forgot until after I'd already spent 24+ hours rebuilding things (that includes almost 14 hours for misc/openoffice2).

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |