Re: Minor problem with pango?

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:20:19AM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Following a recent upgrade of my machines to Xorg, I had to rebuild a
> ton of packages.  Rather than rebuild them all on each separate machine,
> I built them once and then used pkg_tarup to create binary packages.

And fell in one of the traps.

pkg_tarup is a workaround, not a tool that should be used everyday.

For your use case, I'd suggest doing a bulk build in a sandbox and
then installing the binary packages created from that on the machines.

For setting up bulk builds, see e.g. /usr/pkgsrc/doc/HOWTO-pbulk.

> It seems that, for pango, there's a file missing from the resulting
> binary package.  When I ran something that used pango, it complained
> about not having a pango.modules and instructed me to run
>
>       pango-querymodules > '/usr/pkg/libdata/pango/pango.modules'
>
> to recreate it.  This worked, and isn't very hard or time-consuming, but
> it would seem to me that this file should have been created by the
> initial build of the package, and it should have been included in the
> binary package created by pkg_tarup, and it should have been installed
> when I pkd_add'ed the binary package.
>
> Comments?  Am I missing something?  Should I file a pkgsrc PR?

This is done by the pango INSTALL script, which, it seems, didn't make
it into the pkg_taruped file.

Please try using 'make package' to create packages, that's much safer.

Cheers,
 Thomas