RE: confusion regarding .include vs DEPENDS

Johnny C. Lam <> wrote:
> You want to include a dependency's files *only* if the
> package links against libraries provided by the dependency.
> Otherwise, use DEPENDS.
> See Juan's reply for how to set the version for a file.

So, when is it important to specify a version (with either method) and when
is it not?  I'm not completely sure I understand the distinction between
them (better explanation in the doco would be great), and also am still
unsure if this mistake is what caused the unwanted updating.

Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!