Re: get mozilla patches upstream?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:20:06 +0100
Martin Husemann <> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 08:02:39PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> >     What might work is to pick one or two issues and submit
> >     individual clearly labelled PRs with associated patches.
> Like these?
> And let's not even think about the can of worms the ARM patches cause that
> they removed from their code after Mycroft not agreeing on a license change
> they wanted to enforce - and that are basically impossible to write
> differently (i.e. I could clean room those changes with some other developer,
> and the result would look like a verbatim copy of the removed changes)
> If you look at the dates of the two PRs referenced above you will understand
> why people stop feeding back changes and just keep on adding patches to
> pkgsrc.

That's very unfortunate. But we could still try to organise our pkgsrc
patches better. It took me nearly two hours to merge, regenerate and
apply the existing patches when I updated them for firefox 3.0b4 (in

Maybe this is the one package where we should deviate from the patch-NN
naming scheme and instead group the patches like patch-DragonFly-aa,
patch-NetBSD-sparc64-aa and so on.