Re: NetBSD 10.0 installation cd boot hangs

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 01:26:53PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Mon, 27 May 2024, esg%tilde.team@localhost wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 03:09:14PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I think Benny meant ? at the boot device: prompt, not the boot prompt. We
> know that the boot loader can read the CD as it has loaded the kernel. Your
> problem with this is the next paragraph though:

OK, I understand now. I wasn't sure if the 'boot device:' was a prompt,
but it make sense.

> Yes, this has been a problem since I don't know when. USB keyboards often
> fail to operate at this point. Without a PS/2 keyboard (or serial console),
> you may be stuck.

I see. The computer is unfortunately to new to have any PS/2 ports, serial
console might be better. The amd64 installation CD does not have serial
console support by default it seems?

> You could try an older installation CD for laughs. In the olden days, the
> installation ramdisk was embedded in the INSTALL kernel, so at least it
> would start even if you couldn't read the install sets from the CD.
>
> You could try loading amd64/installation/miniroot/miniroot.kmod from the
> boot loader.
>
> Or just boot from USB...

I just did that. I cannot boot from a USB memory stick (the BIOS does not
seem to be able to?); but I can boot from a USB CD drive that I had lying
around. Booting from that progresses a bit further than the earlier impasse,
but eventually ends with a kernel panic. I'm happy to supply further details
if anyone is interested, but I don't think I can figure this out myself.

> > I don't know where 'fd1' comes from - there is only one floppy drive.
>
> Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise if those were hard-wired in on the BIOS

That would make sense.

/Emil