Re: NetBSD 10.0 installation cd boot hangs

On Mon, 27 May 2024, esg%tilde.team@localhost wrote:

On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 03:09:14PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 03:00:24PM +0200, Benny Siegert wrote:
This is technically not a hang. The kernel did not find the device to boot
from, so it is waiting for you to enter one. Are you expecting the device on
the SATA bus? -- Benny

I guess it should show up in the viaide controller, but:

viaide0 channel 1: reset failed for drive 0

says it did not work well.

You could try to list the available devices by entering

	?

at the boot prompt (but I guess your CD will be missing).

Thanks both. My understanding of the boot process is rudimentary, so
I don't quite uniderstand this: Somehow it does find the boot device
(in some sense) since it does start the boot process - so why is it
complaining about the "boot device: <unknows>"?

I think Benny meant ? at the boot device: prompt, not the boot prompt. We know that the boot loader can read the CD as it has loaded the kernel. Your problem with this is the next paragraph though:

Also: I don't know if it has technically hanged, but I cannot type
anything (even though there is a cursor at the end of "root device: "
and the computer is not responding to any keyboard input that I have
tried, so I have to hard restart it by pressing the power button
for a long time.

Yes, this has been a problem since I don't know when. USB keyboards often fail to operate at this point. Without a PS/2 keyboard (or serial console), you may be stuck.

You could try an older installation CD for laughs. In the olden days, the installation ramdisk was embedded in the INSTALL kernel, so at least it would start even if you couldn't read the install sets from the CD.

You could try loading amd64/installation/miniroot/miniroot.kmod from the boot loader.

Or just boot from USB...

typing 'dev' at the boot prompt gives the following output:

   disk hd0 size 223 GB
   disk fd0
     fd0a
   disk fd1
     fd1a
   default cd0a

I don't know where 'fd1' comes from - there is only one floppy drive.

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise if those were hard-wired in on the BIOS.

--
Stephen