Re: NetBSD 10.0 installation cd boot hangs

On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 03:09:14PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 03:00:24PM +0200, Benny Siegert wrote:
> > This is technically not a hang. The kernel did not find the device to boot
> > from, so it is waiting for you to enter one. Are you expecting the device on
> > the SATA bus? -- Benny
> >

> I guess it should show up in the viaide controller, but:
>
> > viaide0 channel 1: reset failed for drive 0
>
> says it did not work well.
>
> You could try to list the available devices by entering
>
> 	?
>
> at the boot prompt (but I guess your CD will be missing).

Thanks both. My understanding of the boot process is rudimentary, so
I don't quite uniderstand this: Somehow it does find the boot device
(in some sense) since it does start the boot process - so why is it
complaining about the "boot device: <unknows>"?

Also: I don't know if it has technically hanged, but I cannot type
anything (even though there is a cursor at the end of "root device: "
and the computer is not responding to any keyboard input that I have
tried, so I have to hard restart it by pressing the power button
for a long time.

typing 'dev' at the boot prompt gives the following output:

    disk hd0 size 223 GB
    disk fd0
      fd0a
    disk fd1
      fd1a
    default cd0a

I don't know where 'fd1' comes from - there is only one floppy drive.

/Emil