Re: X on 10.0 RC1 is unusable on my laptop

On 18/11/2023 11:34, tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost wrote:
On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 11:14:12AM +0000, Mike Pumford wrote:

On 17/11/2023 21:57, Brett Lymn wrote:

Very interested in the results of this.  I haven't had decent X since I updated. Vesa works
but the resolution is pathetic and suspend/resume does not work.

Well my first attempt failed but reading the code a bit more I've just found
a whole pile of extra workrounds I missed so I'm working on adding those. It
doesn't help that in the newer DRM code that the macros that test for
specific versions are completely different :(

Yes, there has been a major refactoring in the Linux code regarding
headers for example. The whole Linux drm-kms is a (fast) moving
target...
Looks like workrounds is quite significantly different.

Between 5.6 rc3 (which is where NetBSD-10 is) and the current code a lot of the workrounds have moved into gt/intel_workround.c from other places (which makes sense).

Prior to that all the workrounds for any hardware version older than v8 were scattered throughout the source code. So NetBSD 10 DOES have workrounds for older hardware but they are just not in the same place as the ones for newer hardware.

This is the commit that moved them.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/380f0423180768f4a2f368c3ee3d417e255de176

And sure enough if I go to intel_ring_submission.c the workrounds for older hardware ARE there. So the missing workrounds was a red herring so whatever is causing this breakage is somewhere else. :(

Still at least something has been eliminated.

Mike