Re: /dev/tty01 will not open on Beaglebone Black

> On Aug 31, 2023, at 1:16 AM, Brett Lymn <blymn%internode.on.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 09:34:31PM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
>> I am trying to communicate with uart4 on a Beaglebone Black, but cannot open /dev/tty01; open(2) just hangs.  I would greatly appreciate tips on how to track down the issue.
>>

> Perhaps it is hardware handshaking that is missing?  Is DTR asserted?  If you cannot do
> the hardware signalling you may need to set the line discipline on the tty to disable
> hardware controls.

Yes, of course; there are no modem control lines.  Thanks for the reminder; I knew this onetime, but I guess those neurons flew away.

Setting up the line discipline makes a big difference (of course).  Now the device opens and I can set termios parameters.

However, a write fails and hangs the board hard: no keyboard response, no response to pings.  I have attached the test program below, and would appreciate more eyes on it from (the many) people who obviously know serial line programming better than I do.  It gets as far as the write() call, but no further.

If the program looks reasonable (the specs for the remote end are 7 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control, 9600 baud, although the hang occurs with or without anything on the other end), I would like advice on where to turn next to get information on where (and why) it is hanging.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers,
Brook