Re: segfault in libterminfo with ncurses with nethack

On Thu 31 Aug 2023 at 21:45:32 +0000, RVP wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2023, Rhialto wrote:
>
> > So I'm trying ncurses.
> >
> > However at startup it crashes in NetBSD's libterminfo.
> >

> If you use ncurses, then you _shouldn't_ be linking in the system libterminfo
> as well. Ncurses, as it's usually built, will have its own terminfo functions
> built-in. (You can also pull this out as a libtinfo{,w}.*)

Ah, I didn't realise that. It sounded fine to me that it would be based
on an external libterminfo.

> I think what's happening here is some functions are being pulled from the
> system libterminfo and others from the ncurses impl. resulting in a
> half-initialized mish-mash in ncurses's data-structures.

Yes that sounds very likely. NetHack uses (for its traditional "tty" UI)
termcap functions directly (.include "../../mk/termcap.buildlink3.mk")

I will have to see if I can get it to link without libterminfo. That
should work better then.

I guess I found a corner case in pkgsrc if you do

PREFER.curses=          pkgsrc
.include "../../mk/curses.buildlink3.mk"
.include "../../mk/termcap.buildlink3.mk"

> -RVP
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert                            <rhialto/at/falu.nl>
\X/ There is no AI. There is just someone else's work.           --I. Rose