"Could not load a transcoding service" error

I am attempting to set up Xilinx Vivado closed source software through
Linux emulation on NetBSD 9.2 amd64.

Quite a few things have worked so far. But going further requires using
the product's tcl shell.

Following is a sample interaction which ends in the captioned message:

# Launches interactive tcl shell
    $ vivado -mode tcl

# I have set the locale to C in the product's internal script that sets up
# the environment. Other locales are reported as "unsupported"
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8" # Also tried setting this to C, no effect
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_COLLATE="C"
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES="C"
    LC_ALL="C"

# These errors occur, but not sure if they relate with the main error
# message in the end

    No entry for terminal type "xterm-256color";
    using dumb terminal settings.
    No entry for terminal type "xterm-256color";
    using dumb terminal settings.

    ****** Vivado v2022.2 (64-bit)
      **** SW Build 3671981 on Fri Oct 14 04:59:54 MDT 2022
      **** IP Build 3669848 on Fri Oct 14 08:30:02 MDT 2022
        ** Copyright 1986-2022 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

# This is hand typed command on vivado prompt, as such the command doesn't
# matter much. Trying to run any command leads to the error below

    Vivado% create_project test

# This is the error in question. The vivado shell exits on this

    Could not load a transcoding service

From web searches, the error appears related to locales. suse15_locales is
installed, though I do not know if that gets used.

I am currently not using chrooting. It would require installing many more
dependencies on suse.

Would appreciate suggestions and help.

--
Mayuresh