Re: Qemu/nvmm - time in NetBSD guest system lags behind (with estd on host)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2022, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:52:31 +0200
   From:        Matthias Petermann <mp%petermann-it.de@localhost>

 | This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.
 |
 | --------------ms090201020102010003020302
 |
 | Hi Robert,
 |
 | please allow me one mor more question....

Sure, but this one I cannot answer, I know nothing about the
module build system, so I am punting this to Paul Goyette,
the expert on all things module related.

Paul?

You would have to modify the appropriate module's Makefile to add
the HZ=1000 definition.

I'm totally unfamiliar with zfs but you could look at some "normal"
file-system modules for example.  Try src/sys/modules/ufs/Makefile
and see how all the file-systesm options are included.

Good luck!

 | On 04.09.22 10:42, Matthias Petermann wrote:
 | > Hi Robert,
 | >0
 | > On 04.09.22 02:58, Robert Elz wrote:
 | >> if that implies that you rebuilt the kernel with HZ=1000 and then used
 | >> the zfs module built with HZ=100 then I think the first thing I would try
 | >> would be to rebuild the module(s?) with HZ=1000
 | >>

 | > Good point... I'll try that right away. This might coincide with my
 | > observation (race condition when initializing the ZPOOL, mail from just
 | > now).
 | I did build the kernel with build.sh as follows:
 |
 | ```
 | $ cd /build/netbsd-93-1000hz/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf
 | $ cp GENERIC VHOST
 | $ vi VHOST
 |
 |      options		HZ=1000
 |
 | $ cd /build/netbsd-93-1000hz/usr/src/
 | $ mkdir ../obj
 | $ ./build.sh -O ../obj -j 4 -U tools
 | $ ./build.sh -O ../obj -j 4 -U kernel=VHOST
 | $ ./build.sh -O ../obj -U releasekernel=VHOST
 | ```
 |
 | ...and picked it up from
 |
 | While for the *kernel* / *releasekernel* target the name of the kernel
 | configuration to be used can be provided, I don't see such an option for
 |
 | the *modules* target. How can I make sure the modules are built with the
 |
 | HZ option set in VHOST config? Or does it simply adapt these from a
 | previous run of the *kernel* target?
 |
 | Kind regards
 | Matthias

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |