Re: Low power server ideas

Hello Andy,

Am 02.09.2022 um 16:38 schrieb Andy Ruhl:
Hello all,

I've been running a NetBSD server on i386 for about 20 odd years, I
should go back and check when I actually started it. I sort of
accidentally upgraded it to amd64 a while back but it worked.

Anyways, it seems like time to move to something else, maybe lower
power if possible.

I found this which is very interesting:

https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/making_rockpro64_a_netbsd_server

Using a 128gig internal MMC would be plenty for OS and some local
storage then I would add some other disks, possibly SSD.

Looking for other ideas if anyone has any.

Thanks.

Andy

if it may still be an amd64 architecture, the "cheap" Intel NUCs are worthwhile in my opinion. The power consumption of my NUC7CJYHN including 8 GB RAM + 2 TB SSD is about 4 W in idle and about 9 W under full load. As a barebone, you can currently get the device for about 130 EUR. I'm currently rebuilding my small business server on this platform, and I'm pretty excited about how well NetBSD 9.3 with Qemu/nvmm runs on it. I'm running it as a virtual host for four VMs with ZFS ZVOLs as backing storage. Apart from a few minor problems that are solvable or under control, the system runs very reliably so far.

Kind regards
Matthias