Re: Low power server ideas

Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 8:15 AM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>> I am not sure this is low enough power, but the PC engines apu2 has 3
>> GbE interfaces and has pretty low power consumption.  My UPS reports 37
>> VA, and that's an apu2, a USB hub, 2 ethernet switches one of which
>> isn't particularly low power, and a POE access point on one of the
>> switches.
>>
>> It's an amd64 cpu and can be had with 4G RAM.  Serial console only, no
>> video at all.  Mine runs until I upgrade the software or the power is
>> out longer than the UPS can deal with.   It is not particularly speedy
>> CPU wise, but it's been great as a
>> router/firewall/dns/everything-like-that running NetBSD.
>
> Interesting. I guess if you wait long enough the mainstream stuff
> becomes sort of embedded stuff. This would be easy to build and run
> NetBSD as well...

It in fact has a low-power chip that seems intended for 'embedded', and
a nice case.  I think the actual usage of the computer is around 6-12W.

Four of these show up:

cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0
cpu0: AMD GX-412TC SOC                               , id 0x730f01
cpu0: package 0, core 0, smt 0

I don't mean to say you shouldn't use aarch64.  Just that I found this
to be low power and very reliable, and because it's amd64, to have
almost no "this program doesn't work on CPU X" issues.  And, I didn't
find something with multiple interfaces and 4GB of RAM that came in a
box with good mechanical/thermal design, a few years ago.