Re: Regular NetBSD packaging and pkgin

On 12 Jul 2021, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
(snip)
>> It sounds like pkgin and your pkg_* tools disagree on what the correct
>> PKG_DBDIR is. Probably one of them is using /var/db/pkg and the other
>> /usr/pkg/pkgdb. Check if you have both, set the location in the
>> respective config files explicitly, and try merging the two db dirs.
>
> Agreed, and details at:
>
>   https://pkgsrc.org/pkgdb-change/

Thank you both: thanks to the hints and those details, I have now
restored the odd system to sanity, basically by using "pkg_delete -f",
removing /usr/pkg/pkgdb/, then "pkgin install -f" and "pkgin unkeep"
on what I deleted. It helped that the stray packages were simply
dependencies that had no interesting associated configuration that
I wanted to preserve.

-- Mark