Re: mpv and estd and --vo=xv

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021, Michael van Elst wrote:

rvp%SDF.ORG@localhost (RVP) writes:

But, maybe, MHz xxx1 != Turbo Boost mode. I'm very confused now :)

It's Turbo Boost mode, which mostly says that the CPU runs at xxx0 MHz
but may increase that as long as the thermal limits aren't reached.
You use it as an additional ACPI p-state with an unspecified frequency.

Not what it says on the tin though, is it? On mine, the ingredients list
states `Turbo Boost Technology: no'. Probably some other Intel tech is
activated when the processor frequency is 1801 MHz. But, no matter: I'm
not looking to play AAA games on this old jalopy of mine. As long as she
boots, I'm happy.

The ACPI pstate driver uses machdep.cpu.frequency.*, unlike the older
est driver which used machdep.est.frequency.*.

Ah, yes...thanks, this had slipped my mind: 9.x has machdep.est.frequency.*
& 9.99.x has machdep.cpu.frequency.*.

-RVP