Re: Custom CD mixes

Todd Gruhn wrote in
 <CA+9Akf8JhObfPFtB-RAB=rCET_Wcs689LGuf0C0HqHp0PC-7bw%mail.gmail.com@localhost>:
 |On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 6:42 AM Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
 |>> Am 09.07.2021 um 21:45 schrieb Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2%gmail.com@localhost>:
 |>>
 |>> If I wanna pull the music off CDs and make a custom album, is there \
 |>> a package
 |>> that would allow me to choose the songs, and play order?
 |>
 |> Rhythmbox is a good software for organizing your music collection \
 |> and creating playlists.
 |>
 |> If you want to burn an audio CD, the way I used to do it is:
 |>
 |> 1. Convert to wav (not sure that rhythmbox can do it)
 |> 2. Write a cue file and burn the CD with cdrdao. The cue file format \
 |> is easy enough to do by hand, and it allows you to control gaps and such.
 |>
 |> There are CD writing GUIs in pkgsrc if you prefer that.

 |Thanks Benny. I was hoping I would not have to write my own

Hm, hmmm, well.  I also have written some small tools.

An info / audio extractor which works on all BSDs (DragonFly,
Free, Net and Open tested) as well as Linux.  It was not tested
with mixed-mode CDs, but other than that it never left me in the
lurch with the CDs i threw at it (with the drive i have).  The
extracted info can easily be grasped by shell scripts.
s-cdda(1)[1] ball is ~18KB.

Much earlier (~Y2K) i have written a script that rips CDs (now
solely through s-cdda(1)), converts the extracted audio to several
different formats (Opus support untested, but Ogg Vorbis (via
oggenc(1), flac, mp4 (via faac(1), and mp3 (via lame) is, ogg and
mp4 i use myself), by default after normalizing the volume across
the tracks if applicable (via sox(1)), and stores them in per-CD
directories under an umbrella path.  Together with a music.db
UTF-8 text file which describes the data (most of that also stored
in the songs itself, but that needs extractor tools say).  This
(quite easily parsable= plain text format can deal with
("represent") classical music ("artist layout") much better than
any other tool i know.  It is easy to create symlink farms or
whatever else is desired from the music.db as well as the songs,
no shell quoting issues, for example.

I have added MusicBrainz support last year, after the CDDB was
turned off (but for the copy that GNU offers), so normally the
fields are (somewhat) filled in automatically.
Anyhow, it is a simple terminal program that asks for the tracks
that should be ripped, and "guides" through the process.
[2] is ~33KB.  Caveats: it should be used with the perl(1) -C
command line flag, a ~twenty years old habit of mine that was just
recently changed after i have the according discussion in an
OpenSSL ticket; i adjusted the code (of quite some scripts) to use
setlocale(3) instead, but no release with that yet; [3] has it
(server supports on-the-fly compression).

Burning not from here.

  [1] https://ftp.sdaoden.eu/s-cdda-0.8.5.tar.gz
  [2] https://ftp.sdaoden.eu/s-cdda-to-db-0.7.0.tar.gz
  [3] https://git.sdaoden.eu/browse?p=s-toolbox.git;a=blob_plain;f=s-cdda-to-db.pl