Re: [netbsd-users] Re: zvol performance expecations? zvol swap?

Also to note - zpools get really unhappy when allocation gets up above 80% - a set of pre-allocated thick-provisioned zvols on a fresh zpool set aside for this purpose is probably ok to take above that limit though, but you might want to workshop that ...

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021, at 11:15, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> I typically use ZFS on Solaris or FreeBSD but would recommend using a
> different zpool for swap if you can so you can have a different vdev
> layout more suited to that load (ie, RAID1 rather than RAID5) and/or to
> tweak other settings as desired independently of your data zpools
>
> Either way, definitely provision your swap zvols as thick volumes so
> that you have all the space you might need pre-allocated and you won't
> force the system to hunt for more at the point where it is already
> under load.

Regards,
Malcolm

--