Re: zvol performance expecations? zvol swap?

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:15:39 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>

>> Suppose I create a 16G zvol on a pool that is a disklabel partition on
>> an SSD.   I would expect read/write performance that is near the
>> native SSD read/write speed.
>
> Why would you expect that? In other words, you're expecting that a
> complex file system like ZFS would have near zero overheads, which is
> not possible. When you take into considerations things like checksums,
> compression, encryption, etc, then the overheads could be quite
> significant.

I have not enabled compression or encryption, and I forgot about
checksums.

However, the use case for zvol is having zfs being a logical volume
manager, and it would seem reasonably feasible to get high efficiencies
via allocation of large numbers of blocks at once.   So 10-20% slower
wouldn't surprise me.

Have you used zvols?  What was your experience?