Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:23:57 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> By default we don't enable NTP, but the default config has the pool.
> I find contacting random pool servers not a real problem, but
> connecting to anything connected with a big company that might think
> it ok to store data of what happened and use it later is potentially
> concerning.
>
> I also realize this is turtles all the way down tand the next question
> is leaking information about DNS.  But I don't think we should be
> configuring talking to Gooogle anything or even Cloudflare.

Sure, it is down to individual users how they configure their systems.
Although I remember NetBSD sysinstall already offering users to use
Google public DNS servers when setting up network config.

People have valid concerns about privacy and tracking, but then Google
and CloudFlare are offering something for free (Email, DNS, NTP, etc)
which takes quite a lot of time and resources to manage on a daily
basis. It is reasonable to assume that they may be able to track you,
but that is the price you pay for using something for free. This is
pretty normal these days. There are various government laws that may
require certain amount of logging/tracking, so there is no absolute
privacy.

If you are extremely paranoid, then a tinfoil hat and off the grid
living, are the best ways to stay incognito.