Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

On 2020-10-10 15:43, Greg Troxel wrote:
The real fix is to add an RTC.  While I know the PDP-11 didn't have one,
and the operator would run date on boot, it's been assumed by UNIX for a
long time that there is a clock.  I have a clock addon for the RPI that
I haven't gotten around to installing; in theory it slips over the GPIO
pins and will still fit in the case.

Careful with that axe, Eugene.
The 11/9x machines do have a battery backed clock.
Also 2.11BSD is often talking ntp, so no operator setting the clock manually at boot time.

That dns starts failing if you don't have a correct clock seems to be a serious brokenness. Plenty of embedded devices that might not have a battery backed clock...

  Johnny