Re: Printing and CUPS

Glenn Mawby writes:

>       Glenn Mawby <glenn.mawby%gmail.com@localhost <mailto:glenn.mawby%gmail.com@localhost>>
>

> 14:43 (28 minutes ago)
>
> to majordomo
>
> Hello,
> I've installed NetBSD 9 on intel based machine and I'm having trouble setting up printing. I decided to use CUPS to manage printing.   The printer is on my local network and has a fixed IP address.
>
> I installed cups and hplip, enabled and started cupsd, and added the HP OfficeJet 8610 to CUPS.
>
> When I print the test page the job is visible in the queue and completes but nothing prints.   If I look in /var/log/cups/error_log I see the following error.
>
> E [14/Oct/2020:20:06:47 +1100] [CGI] Unable to execute ippfind utility: No such file or directory
>
> I checked the wiki and followed the instructions setting up CUPS and as far as I can tell I've done everything right.  I also see chatter on some Linux forums describing a similar problem.
>
> Is there another package I'm supposed to install to make this work?
>
> Glenn
> Australia

Hi Glenn,

I assume that you installed cups and hplip with pkgin. This tool fetches binary packages which have been compiled from the pkgsrc framework (see http://pkgsrc.org/). By looking at the pkgsrc package tree, I see that ippfind is a binary of the print/cups-base package for which the installation seems to be conditioned by the activation of a non-default option (avahi). Therefore, the set of binary packages provided by pkgin should contain a cups without ippfind.

I suggest you to update your cups to a "custom" version for which you enable the avahi option. You have to fetch a pkgsrc source tree, enable the option by adding PKG_OPTIONS.cups-base= avahi in /etc/mk.conf and install the package with a command as cd /usr/pkgsrc/print/cups-base && make update package.

For more information, please read the pkgsrc guide: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/

Regards,
Fred