Re: ntpdate(8) and unbound(8) dependencies during boot

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:48:44 +0200 (CEST)
Havard Eidnes <he%uninett.no@localhost> wrote:

> > Hi, I'm having the following issues on RPi-3 which doesn't have
> > battery operated clock. This tends to happen when clock skew is
> > quite large.
> >
> > 1. DNS resolution no longer works, as unbound(8) needs system time
> > to be correct. I think this is due to "forward-tls-upstream: yes"
> > option.
>
> I suspct that DNSSEC signature validation also fails with a clock
> which is way off.  RRSIG records specify a validity interval, and
> it's not uncommon for that to span about a month around the
> current time.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Håvard

You may be right. I was going on holiday and turned off the machine.
When I came back, the system clock was off by about a week. Didn't
bother finding out exactly where unbound was failing to resolve DNS
names, I knew right away it was something to do with the incorrect time.