Re: Suggestions for a discrete NIC compatible with NetBSD 9.0

Ian Clark <mrrooster%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 11:59, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:29:57PM +0200, Rocky Hotas wrote:
>> > I am looking for a discrete card, which is at least 10/100 Mbps full
>> > duplex. Gigabit ethernet is optional but welcome. The case is Small Form
>> > Factor, so the card should be Low Profile.
>> >
>> > Available slots are: PCI, PCI Express x1, x4, x16. I am not sure about
>> > the PCI Express version, but according to dmidecode it should be 2
>>
>> Most random cheap PCIe cards that you can get are re(4) using a realtek
>> chipset and work well with NetBSD (in my experience).
>>
> I've had good experience with the Intel Pro/1000 PCI-E NICs, IIRC they
> come with low profile brackets. (Actually running FreeBSD at the mo,
> but the box ran NetBSD for years, and I've deffo booted 8.99 kernels
> on this card. Always found the inel stuff reliable under NetBSD).
>
> They were faster for gig than the Realtek stuff I tried. (To be fair,
> probably going back 10+ years though).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

Yes, I agree the Intel Pro cards work pretty well..  I tend to pick up
used "Intel PRO/1000 PT (82571EB)", which are dual nics (probably server
pulls).  Very often I will end up flashing newer firmware to them, as
the used ones I have gotten have run older firmware.  Simply use a thumb
drive booting DR-DOS with the Intel updater program on it.  Depending on
your case, you may want to add a small fan to the heat sink if they are
busy as they can get warm.  I had one in a case that did not quite
circulate the air well enough to keep it as cool as I liked and a small
fan running off spare +5v power dealt with that.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org