Re: Suggestions for a discrete NIC compatible with NetBSD 9.0

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 at 11:59, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 12:29:57PM +0200, Rocky Hotas wrote:
> > I am looking for a discrete card, which is at least 10/100 Mbps full
> > duplex. Gigabit ethernet is optional but welcome. The case is Small Form
> > Factor, so the card should be Low Profile.
> >
> > Available slots are: PCI, PCI Express x1, x4, x16. I am not sure about
> > the PCI Express version, but according to dmidecode it should be 2
>
> Most random cheap PCIe cards that you can get are re(4) using a realtek
> chipset and work well with NetBSD (in my experience).

I've had good experience with the Intel Pro/1000 PCI-E NICs, IIRC they
come with low profile brackets. (Actually running FreeBSD at the mo,
but the box ran NetBSD for years, and I've deffo booted 8.99 kernels
on this card. Always found the inel stuff reliable under NetBSD).

They were faster for gig than the Realtek stuff I tried. (To be fair,
probably going back 10+ years though).

Cheers,

Ian