Re: I finally bricked my NetBSD system

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> 2) boot single user, by hitting space during the countdown and "boot
>> -s".  hit return for sh.  Once there, type "fsck -p" to fix any
>> issues. Then "mount -a".  Then put back the shell with pkg_add, or
>> use vipw to change your shell back to /bin/sh.
>
> vipw complains of no TERM being set, and /usr/bin/vi of an "undefined
> error: 0" after I enter 'chsh' at the root prompt I am now able to get
> back to.

What I would do is

export EDITOR=ed
export VISUAL=ed

and try again.  For normals, read the ed(1) man page.  In all
seriousness, this is the first editor I learned, under Sixth Edition,
and it asssumes very little.

Perhaps also "export TERM=cons25" would help.

The install cd/chroot suggestion is wise, btw.