Re: pkgsrc build server

On 04/07/2020 21:57, Greg A. Woods wrote:
At Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:01:26 +0300, Dima Veselov <kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: pkgsrc build server

What I want is to run "make install" on fast real production server
with lot of resources once and then have all of those packages built in
NFS DISTDIR so any VM can just install them.

Yes, you can do that, provided the fast server runs the same OS that
will run on the target VM.  I share my /build FS from the build
server(s) and install binary packages built there on production systems.

With libkver its possible to set up chroots for other versions as long as the binaries will run on the current kernel. libkver allows you to lie about kernel version and arch (as long as the arch is compatible with the kernel).

On 9.0-STABLE amd64 I build binary packages for 9.0 amd64, 8.2 amd64 and also for 8.2 i386 and 9.x i386. I do this with home grown scripts based around libkver + chroot. libkver is in pkgsrc. I do this for exactly the reasons the original poster flagged.

I don't want my pkgsrc builds taking down a server and I want my target systems to only have runtime dependencies install rather than all the build ones as well. pkg_comp1 supports most of this but I found its internal package building logic a little bit inflexible for my needs which is what led to the homegrown scripts. A pbulk based chroot using libkver may be better if working from in pkgsrc components.

Mike