Re: pkgsrc build server

At Sat, 4 Jul 2020 21:01:26 +0300, Dima Veselov <kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: pkgsrc build server

> What I want is to run "make install" on fast real production server
> with lot of resources once and then have all of those packages built in
> NFS DISTDIR so any VM can just install them.

Yes, you can do that, provided the fast server runs the same OS that
will run on the target VM.  I share my /build FS from the build
server(s) and install binary packages built there on production systems.

You may have to arrange for pkgsrc to build binary packages for you, and
I think that's relatively easy now with something like this in your
/etc/mk.conf (i.e. on the build server), though I must warn I may have
missed somthing that I've more permanently hacked on in my pkgsrc tree
(there are some other nice things shown here too).

# This section is just for pkgsrc
#
.if defined(BSD_PKG_MK)

# carefully share host settings for packages with BSD-Style makefiles
#
PKGMAKECONF = /etc/mk.conf

INSTALL_UNSTRIPPED =	YES

DEFAULT_DEPENDS_TARGET =	package
DEFAULT_UPDATE_TARGET ?=	package

DEPENDS_TARGET =	update
UPDATE_TARGET =		package-install

# uncomment this if you sometimes manually build packages and might miss
# some dependency that was built without "make update" or "make package"
# and thus which still needs a "make package" run to build the binary
# package.
#
#CLEANDEPENDS=			no

# use pkgtools/autoswc to cache some autoconf results
#
.sinclude "/usr/pkg/share/autoswc/autoswc.mk"

.endif	# BSD_PKG_MK

As others have warned though, be careful about mixing packages from
different pkgsrc trees.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>