Re: possible new feature: unrm ?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 09:25:12 -0700
Michael Cheponis <michael.cheponis%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Yes, it's possible to move to ~/.Trash or something -- but now you need to
> write ever-increasingly-complicated scripts to e.g. unrm a directory tree.

So let's replace this shell script with ever-increasingly-complicated
code that permanently destroys your data if there's a bug. :)

> I agree that backups are necessary, but who hasn't had a corrupted backup?
> And it's much less convenient.  With disks so big these days, a 'shadow
> filesystem' seems most logical to me.
>
> Heck, if you think about it, this is precisely what VCSs like git or
> subversion do -- they give you 'infinite undelete'.  I'm just saying, gee,
> isn't that a grand idea --- shouldn't we do that for ALL files, by default?

Maybe for most users. At a previous job, I had a 120 TB array and still
couldn't get enough disk space. This feature would make it effectively
impossible to delete anything quickly, which would have wrecked that
system.

If you want to get a file back in fast and simple way, use something
like ZFS and 'cp' it out of an old snapshot.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>