Re: Installing debian packages on netbsd?

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, 09 Jun 2020 20:11:51 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>>   after installing the linux compat packages, chroot into /emul/linux
>>   and then run the dpkg tools.  first you might need to install them
>>   because the emulation is suse.
>
> Anyone knows why pkgsrc uses Suse Linux? Is it something to do with
> long term support for older versions? If not, I wonder if Debian would
> be a better choice, as they have far more packages available.

I think it was basically a good choice a long time ago when it was
added.  LTS does seem important, basically to match what random linux
binaries want, and in theory to have security fixes.   Whether it is the
best choice today I do not know.

If you or someone wanted to create debian or centos compat packages,
centos, and put them in wip, I suspect it would be helpful to a number
of people.   We could certainly consider changing to that if it turns
out to be better.