Re: Installing debian packages on netbsd?

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 01:11, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> "Patrick Pritchard" <outside%d26.net@localhost> writes:
>
> > I’m interested in setting up a private cloud using Synology Drive.
> > The desktop installer is an “Ubuntu (deb)” package — is there a way to
> > install these in NetBSD?
>
> NetBSD can run some (most?) Linux binaries, as Ottavio explained.
>
> I have two suggestions:
>
>   after installing the linux compat packages, chroot into /emul/linux
>   and then run the dpkg tools.  first you might need to install them
>   because the emulation is suse.
>
>   Look at various linux compat packages in pkgsrc, and figure out how to
>   turn the synology package into a pkgsrc package with linux binaries.

Incidentally (I haven't tried this myself but I could), I wonder if,
instead of installing all the related compat packages from pkgsrc, one
could just untar one of these root filesystems into /emul/linux:

https://us.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/

For example, the Ubuntu one in this particular case. These are meant
for docker, but I use them in a chroot on my Debian laptop and they
work alright.  (It anybody wants to try them, the ones named
"rootfs.tar.xz")

--
Ottavio Caruso