Re: Postfix and local mail delivery - still relevant in 2020?

On 2020-06-07 10:11, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 16:19:20 -0700
"Greg A. Woods" <woods%planix.com@localhost> wrote:

Delivering mail to a remote mail server requires MTA software that is
capable of delivering mail via the network.

Postfix is a most excellent MTA that can be configured to deliver mail
via the network.

Conveniently Postfix is also a most excellent MTA that can be
configured to (also) _receive_ mail via the network.

I agree with you and I am not suggesting that Postfix is not good at
what it does. I am questioning this aspect of system administration:

"delivering mail to a remote mail server"

I wonder if this is still relevant in 2020, when many people tend to
use multitudes of VMs and container-per-application configurations.

The alternative, even more so with the VMs, is that you would go into each and every machine and check the state there every day. That do not seem to scale very well...

Having the reports instead sent to some central place seems exactly what you would like to do...

  Johnny